Breakdowns Suck: Using Your Vehicle’s Specifications
Using Your Vehicle Specifications
As professionals in the transportation industry, we all know that trucks come in many different makes, models and engine types. It may seem like a ‘no-brainer’ but having knowledge of your fleet’s specifications can be a major component to ensuring your breakdowns suck less.
In the 30 years I’ve been in the business, I’ve seen it happen more times than I can count. Dispatchers or drivers who aren’t familiar with the make, model, or engine type of the broken-down unit contact and send out a vendor who is ultimately unable to assist, leading to longer downtime and higher costs. When it comes to running a fleet, we all know that breakdowns are unavoidable, but managing downtime is an imperative part of managing costs.
One thing we can all agree on is you don’t want to be caught unprepared when a unit goes down and keeping an accurate log of your fleets specifications is one of the first steps in ensuring you give your dispatchers and drivers all the tools they need to have a ‘successful’ event.
Here are some important tips and guidelines that will help you learn how to better use your vehicle specifications to your advantage;
- Keep accurate and up to date documentation of the make, model, and engine type of every unit in your fleet
- Ensure specifications are accessible to all required parties (dispatchers, drivers, etc.)
- Know your vendors! Which of your vendors can work on what makes/models/engines? Don’t waste time calling the wrong shop.
- Familiarize yourself with known problems on the makes/models in your fleet so you can better prepare for potential problems
- Always stay up to date with recall notices from your vehicle’s manufacturer
It really can be just that easy to make your breakdowns ‘suck less’, but if you want to make it even easier, call CANXXUS. When we manage your fleet’s emergency breakdown service, we log the specifications (make, model, engine, VIN) of each and every unit. Anytime one of your vehicles comes into our service, our agents can pull up the details just by entering your company name and the unit number. With our proprietary event mapping software our team is able to filter and search for vendors that meet the unit’s requirements before even placing a call. With each unit’s specifications at our fingertips, we can give the vendor all the information they need in one call.
Let’s make it easier. Call CANXXUS today.
Until next time,
President and Founder of CANXXUS
Enjoying this blog series? Let us know your thoughts at [email protected]